Geolocate

Virginia topographic map

Click on the map to display elevation.

About this map

Name: Virginia topographic map, elevation, terrain.

Location: Virginia, United States (36.54079 -83.67537 39.46601 -75.16644)

Average elevation: 820 ft

Minimum elevation: -10 ft

Maximum elevation: 6,109 ft

Forests cover 62% of Virginia as of 2019, of which 78% is considered hardwood forest, meaning that trees in Virginia are primarily deciduous and broad-leaved. The other 22% is pine, with Loblolly and shortleaf pine dominating much of central and eastern Virginia. In the western and mountainous parts of the Commonwealth, oak and hickory are most common, while lower altitudes are more likely to have small but dense stands of moisture-loving hemlocks and mosses in abundance. Spongy moth infestations in oak trees and the blight in chestnut trees have decreased both of their numbers, leaving more room for hickory and invasive ailanthus trees. In the lowland tidewater and Piedmont, yellow pines tend to dominate, with bald cypress wetland forests in the Great Dismal and Nottoway swamps. Other common trees include red spruce, Atlantic White cedar, tulip-poplar, and the flowering dogwood, the state tree and flower, as well as willows, ashes, and laurels. Plants like milkweed, dandelions, daisies, ferns, and Virginia creeper, which is featured on the state flag, are also common. The Thompson Wildlife Area in Fauquier is known for one of the largest populations of trillium wildflowers in all of North America.

(CC-BY-SA 3.0)

Other topographic maps

Click on a map to view its topography, its elevation and its terrain.

Seattle

United States > Washington > King County

Seattle, King County, Washington, United States

Average elevation: 131 ft

New York

United States

New York, United States

Average elevation: 66 ft

Florida

United States

Florida, United States

Average elevation: 20 ft

Portland

United States > Oregon > Multnomah County

Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, United States

Average elevation: 256 ft

Oregon

United States

Oregon, United States

Average elevation: 3,077 ft

Arizona

United States

Arizona, United States

Average elevation: 4,032 ft

Wisconsin

United States

Wisconsin, United States

Average elevation: 991 ft

Ohio

United States

Ohio, United States

Average elevation: 915 ft

San Francisco

United States > California

San Francisco, CAL Fire Northern Region, California, United States

Average elevation: 207 ft

Houston

United States > Texas > Harris County

Houston, Harris County, Texas, United States

Average elevation: 82 ft

Missouri

United States

Missouri, United States

Average elevation: 830 ft

Austin

United States > Texas > Travis County

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States

Average elevation: 709 ft

San Diego

United States > California > San Diego County

San Diego, San Diego County, California, United States

Average elevation: 413 ft

California

United States

California, United States

Average elevation: 3,045 ft

Texas

United States

Texas, United States

Average elevation: 1,706 ft

Denver

United States > Colorado > Denver County

Denver, Denver County, Colorado, United States

Average elevation: 5,525 ft